Tiffany & Co.
Tiffany & Co. in the 19th century
John P. Young opened a stationery and luxury goods store known as Tiffany & Young at 259 Broadway in New York City. Within ten years, jewellery and silver items were added to their stock. By 1853, Tiffany had assumed complete ownership of the business and the name was changed to Tiffany & Co. During the ninteenth century, designers such as Edward C. Moore and G. Paulding Farnham, as well as renowned gemmologist George Frederick Kunz, propelled Tiffany & Co. to the forefront of the international jewellery world.
Tiffany & Co. in the 20th century
From 1907, the firm manufactured and sold the jewellery designs of Louis Comfort Tiffany, son of the founder. Upon taking over the management of Tiffany & Co. in 1955, Walter Hoving invited several talented designers to join the firm. Among them were Jean Schlumberger and Donald Claflin. In 1974, they added Elsa Peretti as an exclusive designer, followed by Paloma Picasso in 1980. Today they have more than 100 locations worldwide.