Mauboussin in the 19th century
In 1827, Mr Rocher and his cousin, Baptiste Noury, established a jewellery shop in Paris which, by 1850, had been taken over by Noury. His nephew, Georges Mauboussin, then joined the firm, assuming control in 1896.
Mauboussins succes in the 20th century
In 1922, the business was named 'Mauboussin, Successeur de Noury', and later, simply 'Mauboussin'. The house of Mauboussin contributed to all major international exhibitions in the first half of the 20th century, including Milan in 1923 and 1924, New York in 1924 and 1939, Strasbourg in 1924, and Paris in 1925, 1931 and 1937. They were awarded the Grand Prix at the 1925 Exposition des Arts Décoratifs in Paris and, for his contributions to the world of jewellery, Georges Mauboussin was awarded the "Légion d'Honneur". The firm opened branches in London and Buenos Aires which have subsequently closed.
Liaison with Trabert & Hoeffer
In October 1929, they opened an office in New York, but following the stock market crash less than one month later, a merger was negotiated with the American jeweller Trabert & Hoeffer. Trabert & Hoeffer took over the location and stock, and all jewellery retailed under this contract was signed "Trabert & Hoeffer Inc. -Mauboussin". This agreement lasted until the 1950s. In 2002, Dominique Frémont, a Swiss businessman, acquired a majority interest in the firm, with Patrick Mauboussin remaining involved in the creation of the jewellery. The firm is currently located at 20, Place Vendôme in Paris.