Birth of Bulgari in Rome
The firm of Bulgari was founded by Sotirio Bulgari, who was born in 1857 in Greece and was descended from a family of silversmiths. In 1884 he opened his first shop in Rome on the Via Sistina, and then in 1905, before moving to the Via dei Condotti.
Birth of the Bvlgary-style
Upon Sotirio's death in 1932, his sons, Giorgio and Costantino, took over the business. They are credited with creating the highly distinctive `Bvlgari' style, inspired by Greek and Roman classicism, the Italian Renaissance, and the ninteenth-century Roman school of goldsmiths.
The 1970s marked the beginning of Bulgari's international expansion with the opening of stores in New York (the first overseas), Paris, Geneva, and Monte Carlo, building towards more than 155 international stores open today. It was also in this decade that Bulgari introduced the 'Bvlgari-Bvlgari' which was to become a successful watch classic. Bulgari Time was established in the early 1980s in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, for the creation and production of all Bulgari watch lines.